Sarson Ka Saag
Sarson Ka Saag is a traditional Punjabi dish prepared from Fresh Green Saroson Patta (Mustard Leaves) and Spinach (Palak). Sarson Ka Saag is also popularly known as Sarson Da Saag. Sarson Ka Saag is primarily a seasonal dish prepared in winter as mustard leaves are readily available in this season.Sarson ka Saag is a nutritionally rich food recipe as green mustard leaves and spinach leaves add many essential nutrients and minerals (Iron, Magnesium, zinc, Vitamins and other minerals). Some people add Bathua leaves (White Goosefoot) with Mustard leaves and do not use spinach, few ingredients may vary as per taste and tradition but here we are using spinach in our recipe.
- 1 Non Stick Pan
- 1 Mixer Grinder
- 1 Strainer
- 1 Non-Stick Kadhai (Frying Pan)
For Sarson Ka Saag
- 300 Grams Freshly Chopped Green Mustard Leaves (Sarson Ke Patte)
- 300 Grams Freshly Chopped Spinach (Palak)
- 1-2 Finely Chopped Green Chillies
- 1 tbsp Finely Chopped Ginger (Adrak)
- 1½ tbsp Finely Chopped Garlic (Lehsun)
- 1½ tbsp PURE N DESI Cold Pressed Mustard Oil
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Cup Finely Chopped Onion
- ¼ tbsp Asfoetida (Heeng)
- 1 tbsp Chilli Powder
- ½ tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- Salt to Taste
For Serving With Sarson Ka Saag
- Makki Ki Roti
- 1 tbsp Desi Cow Ghee (Clarified Butter) - this is optional
For Sarson Ka Saag
- Take a Non-Stick Pan and Boil enough water to add Chopped Mustard leaves, Spinach and Green Chillies and boil them for 4-5 minutes.
- Strain the content using a Strainer and Drain well
- Immediately Put the boiled content in freshwater (Change the Water twice) and drain again and keep aside for 2-3 minutes.
- After that, put the material in Griding Jar, add ½ cup of water and grind it and make a coarse mixture.
- Heat the mustard oil in a non-stick Kadhai (Frying Pan) to its smoke point and then add cumin seeds.
- Once the seeds crackle, add asafoetida, Garlic and Ginger and saute for 30-40 Seconds at medium flame.
- Then add chopped onion and saute again for 2-3 minutes at medium flame.
- Add Mustard Leaves and Spinach mixture along with turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and Salt to taste and mix them all for 2-3 minutes and let the mixture cook for 2-3 more minutes at medium flame.
- Serve the Hot Sarson Ka Saag with freshly prepared Makki Ki Roti. For more flavour, you can add 1 tbsp of Desi Cow Ghee (Clarified Butter) in Sarson Ka Saag.