Dum Aloo History & Origin:
Dum Aloo Recipe is a popular dish that originated in the northern Indian state of Kashmir. This vegetarian delicacy is made with baby potatoes cooked in a yogurt-based gravy and a blend of aromatic spices. The dish is believed to have been introduced to India by the Mughals during their reign in the country.
Dum Aloo Kashmiri:
The Kashmiri version of Dum Aloo is a bit different from the traditional one. It uses Kashmiri red chili powder, fennel powder, and ginger powder, which gives it a unique taste and aroma. The dish is usually served with rice or naan bread.
Follow this easy recipe to make delicious Dum Aloo Kashmiri in the comfort of your own kitchen.
- 500g baby potatoes
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil (Healthy Cold Pressed Mustard Oil)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- 2-3 green cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (Use Lakadong Turmeric)
- 1 cup yogurt, whisked
- Salt, to taste
- Chopped coriander leaves, for garnish
- Parboil the baby potatoes in a pot of water for about 5-7 minutes until they are slightly tender. Drain the water and set the potatoes aside.
- In a large pan, heat the mustard oil over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, and cardamom pods. Saute for 1-2 minutes until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the ginger paste, garlic paste, and chopped onion. Saute for 2-3 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the Kashmiri red chili powder, fennel powder, ginger powder, and turmeric powder. Mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the whisked yogurt and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the gravy thickens.
- Add the parboiled baby potatoes to the pan and mix well. Add salt to taste.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and let the potatoes cook in the gravy on low heat for 10-15 minutes until they are tender.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or naan bread.
Enjoy your delicious Dum Aloo Kashmiri!
Dum Aloo Recipe:
Dum Aloo Calories:
Dum Aloo Tips & Tricks:
Here are some useful tips and tricks to help you make the perfect Dum Aloo:
- Choose the right potatoes: Baby potatoes are ideal for Dum Aloo as they are small and cook quickly. Choose potatoes that are firm and free from blemishes or soft spots.
- Parboil the potatoes: Before adding the potatoes to the gravy, it’s best to parboil them for a few minutes until they are slightly tender. This ensures that they cook evenly and absorb the flavors of the spices.
- Use the right spices: The key to a flavorful Dum Aloo is using the right spices. Common spices used in Dum Aloo include cumin, coriander, turmeric, and red chili powder. Adjust the amount of spices based on your personal preference.
- Add yogurt to the gravy: Adding yogurt to the gravy gives it a creamy texture and balances out the spices. Make sure to whisk the yogurt well before adding it to the pan to prevent curdling.
- Cook on low heat: Dum Aloo is best cooked on low heat to allow the flavors to meld together and the potatoes to cook through without breaking apart.
- Garnish with fresh herbs: Adding a sprinkle of chopped coriander leaves or fresh mint leaves to the Dum Aloo before serving enhances the flavors and adds a pop of color.
By following these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to make a delicious and authentic Dum Aloo at home.
In conclusion, Dum Aloo is a classic Indian dish that has stood the test of time. With its unique blend of spices and creamy texture, it is a must-try for any food enthusiast. So, why not give this delicious dish a try and impress your family and friends with your culinary skills!