Sandwich History & Origin:
The sandwich has an interesting history that dates back to the 18th century. The story goes that John Montagu, the 4th Earl of Sandwich, was a busy man who didn’t want to stop gambling to eat a meal.
He asked his cook to put some meat between two slices of bread so he could eat it with one hand while playing cards with the other. This allowed him to continue gambling without getting his cards greasy. The sandwich quickly became popular in England and eventually spread to other parts of the world.
Today, the sandwich is a beloved and ubiquitous meal that can be enjoyed in countless varieties.
Sandwich Types & Varities:
Indian cuisine is known for its rich and diverse flavors, and that diversity is reflected in the many different types of sandwiches that are popular in India. Here are some of the most common types of Indian sandwiches:
- Veggie Sandwich: A classic sandwich made with slices of cucumber, tomato, onion, and sometimes beetroot, along with a generous spread of green chutney.
- Bombay Sandwich: Originating from Mumbai, this sandwich is made with a filling of potato, cucumber, and tomato slices, along with chutney and sometimes cheese.
- Paneer Sandwich: This sandwich is made with cubes of paneer (cottage cheese) and a flavorful mint chutney, along with sliced onion and tomato.
- Chicken Sandwich: A popular variation on the classic sandwich, this version features shredded or sliced chicken mixed with mayonnaise, and sometimes flavored with sandwich masala.
- Club Sandwich: A layered sandwich made with three slices of bread, filled with chicken, lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise.
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich: A simple but classic sandwich made with cheese and buttered bread, grilled until the cheese is melted and gooey.
- Egg Sandwich: A filling sandwich made with boiled eggs, mayonnaise, and sometimes mustard or sliced veggies.
- Potato Sandwich: A vegetarian sandwich made with boiled and mashed potatoes, spices, and chutney, served on toasted bread.
These are just a few of the many different types of sandwiches that you can find in India. With endless variations and possibilities, there’s a sandwich for every taste and occasion.
If you’re looking for a tasty sandwich recipe with an Indian twist, try this delicious and easy recipe for a Spicy Paneer Sandwich:
- 8 slices of bread
- 1 cup of paneer (cottage cheese) cubes
- 1/2 cup of chopped onions
- 1/2 cup of chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp of ginger paste
- 1 tsp of garlic paste
- 1 tsp of red chili powder (Use Mathania Chili Powder)
- 1/2 tsp of cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp of coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- Butter or ghee for toasting the bread
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan and add the ginger and garlic paste. Cook for a minute.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté until they turn translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they turn soft and mushy.
- Add the paneer cubes, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and salt to taste. Mix well and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Take two slices of bread and spread a generous amount of the paneer mixture on one slice. Cover with the other slice of bread.
- Spread butter or ghee on the outside of the sandwich and toast in a pan until golden brown on both sides.
- Repeat with the remaining bread slices and paneer mixture.
- Serve hot with your favorite chutney or sauce.
This Spicy Paneer Sandwich is a delicious and filling meal that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The paneer adds a creamy texture and the spices give it a spicy kick, making it a satisfying and flavorful option for sandwich lovers.
Sandwich Masala Recipe:
If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to add some extra flavor to your sandwiches, try making your own sandwich masala. This spice blend is commonly used in India to add a tangy and savory flavor to a variety of dishes, including sandwiches. Here’s a simple recipe to make your own sandwich masala at home:
- 1/2 cup of dried mint leaves
- 1/2 cup of dried coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup of cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup of black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp of dried mango powder (amchur)
- 1 tbsp of dried ginger powder (sonth)
- 1 tbsp of dried garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- Dry roast the cumin seeds and black peppercorns in a pan over low heat until fragrant. Allow them to cool.
- Grind the cumin seeds and black peppercorns into a fine powder using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.
- Add the dried mint leaves, dried coriander leaves, dried mango powder, dried ginger powder, dried garlic powder, and salt to the grinder or mortar and pestle.
- Grind everything together until you have a fine powder.
- Store the sandwich masala in an airtight container.
To use the sandwich masala, simply sprinkle it on your bread or filling before assembling your sandwich. You can also mix it with some mayonnaise or yogurt to make a flavorful spread for your sandwich. The tangy and savory flavor of the sandwich masala will add a delicious twist to your favorite sandwich.
The number of calories in a sandwich can vary widely depending on the ingredients used, the size of the sandwich, and the method of preparation. Here’s a breakdown of the approximate calorie count for a typical sandwich made with white bread and some common fillings in India:
- Veggie Sandwich (with cucumber, tomato, onion, and green chutney): 250-300 calories
- Egg Sandwich (with boiled eggs and mayonnaise): 300-350 calories
- Chicken Sandwich (with shredded chicken and mayonnaise): 350-400 calories
- Paneer Sandwich (with paneer cubes and mint chutney): 300-350 calories
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich: 350-400 calories
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich: 350-400 calories
- Tuna Salad Sandwich (with canned tuna, mayonnaise, and chopped vegetables): 400-450 calories
It’s important to note that the calorie count can increase significantly if the sandwich is made with higher calorie breads or spreads, or if additional high-calorie ingredients are added. To keep your sandwich lower in calories, opt for whole wheat bread, use low-fat spreads and fillings, and add plenty of fresh vegetables.
Sandwich Tips & Tricks:
Here are some useful tips and tricks for making delicious and flavorful Indian sandwiches:
- Use fresh bread: The bread is the foundation of any sandwich, so it’s important to use fresh bread that’s soft and not too dense. If your bread is stale or too dense, it can overpower the flavors of the filling.
- Add chutney or masala: Indian chutneys and spice blends like sandwich masala can add a lot of flavor and depth to your sandwich. Try spreading some mint or coriander chutney on your bread, or sprinkle some sandwich masala on your filling.
- Use paneer or tofu: Paneer (cottage cheese) and tofu are great alternatives to meat in Indian sandwiches. They are high in protein and add a creamy texture to the sandwich.
- Experiment with fillings: There are endless possibilities when it comes to fillings for Indian sandwiches. Try using leftover curries or vegetables as filling, or mix and match different ingredients to create your own unique combination.
- Grill or toast your sandwich: Grilling or toasting your sandwich can add a crispy texture and enhance the flavors of the filling. Use a panini press, a grill pan, or a toaster to give your sandwich a crispy exterior and a melty filling.
- Add fresh herbs: Fresh herbs like coriander or mint can add a burst of fresh flavor to your sandwich. Try sprinkling some chopped herbs on top of your filling or mixing them into the chutney or spread.
- Don’t overstuff your sandwich: While it can be tempting to load up your sandwich with as many ingredients as possible, it’s important not to overstuff it. This can make it difficult to eat and can also cause the filling to spill out.
By following these tips and tricks, you can create delicious and flavorful Indian sandwiches that are sure to satisfy.
Sandwiches have a long and interesting history, and there are countless varieties and styles of this popular food around the world. In India, sandwiches are a common lunch or snack item, and they can be made with a variety of flavorful fillings and toppings.
By experimenting with different breads, fillings, and seasonings, you can create a delicious and satisfying sandwich that’s perfect for any occasion.
With the recipe and tips provided, you can try making your own Indian-inspired sandwich at home and enjoy the unique flavors and spices of this delicious cuisine.