Matar Paneer History & Origin:
Matar Paneer is a popular vegetarian dish from North India. The origin of the dish is unclear, but it is believed to have originated in the Punjab region. The dish is made by simmering green peas (matar) and paneer (Indian cottage cheese) in a creamy tomato-based gravy. It is typically served with rice or Indian bread such as naan or roti.
Matar Paneer Recipe:
Here’s the recipe for delicious and creamy Matar Paneer:
- 2 cups paneer cubes
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 medium-sized onions
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes
- 1-inch ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (Use Mathania Chili Powder)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons oil (Use Healthy Cold Pressed Oils)
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Once they splutter, add finely chopped onions and sauté until golden brown.
- Add finely chopped ginger and garlic, and sauté for a minute. Then add finely chopped tomatoes and sauté until they turn mushy.
- Add turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add green peas and 1 cup of water. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 5-7 minutes or until the peas are cooked.
- Add paneer cubes and garam masala powder. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or Indian bread.
Matar Paneer Dhaba Style:
To make Matar Paneer Dhaba style, follow the same recipe as above but with the following modifications:
- Use a tablespoon of butter instead of oil in the pan while sautéing the onions. This will give the dish a rich and authentic flavor.
- Instead of using store-bought paneer, use fresh paneer for a softer and creamier texture. You can make fresh paneer at home or buy it from your local dairy.
- Add a teaspoon of kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) for extra flavor. Crush the kasuri methi between your palms before adding it to the dish.
- Once the dish is cooked, garnish it with a dollop of butter and some more kasuri methi. This will enhance the flavor and make the dish look more appetizing.
Serve your Matar Paneer Dhaba style hot with rice or Indian bread and enjoy the authentic taste of this popular North Indian dish.
Matar Paneer Calories:
The calorie count of one serving of Matar Paneer, which is approximately 200 grams, is as follows:
- Paneer: 245 calories
- Green Peas: 68 calories
- Onions: 44 calories
- Tomatoes: 32 calories
- Oil: 60 calories
- Spices: 20-30 calories (depending on the amount used)
Therefore, the total calorie count of one serving of Matar Paneer can range from 469 to 479 calories. However, the calorie count may vary slightly depending on the cooking method and the amount of oil and spices used.
Matar Paneer Tips & Tricks:
Here are some tips and tricks to make the perfect Matar Paneer:
- Use fresh paneer for a soft and creamy texture. You can make fresh paneer at home or buy it from your local dairy.
- Always fry the paneer cubes in hot oil for a few minutes before adding them to the curry. This will help to keep the paneer cubes soft and prevent them from getting hard and rubbery.
- Use ripe tomatoes for a sweeter taste and smoother texture in the curry.
- Do not overcook the green peas as they can become mushy and lose their bright green color. Add them to the curry towards the end of the cooking time and cook them until just tender.
- To give the curry a restaurant-like flavor, use a mix of whole spices like bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, and cardamom pods. Roast them in hot oil before adding the onions to the pan.
- If you want a spicier curry, increase the amount of red chili powder. You can also add green chilies for an extra kick.
- To balance out the flavors, add a pinch of sugar to the curry. This will help to cut down the acidity of the tomatoes and make the curry taste more balanced.
By following these tips and tricks, you can make a delicious and flavorful Matar Paneer that everyone will love.
In conclusion, Matar Paneer is a delicious and wholesome North Indian dish that is easy to make and can be customized to your taste. Try this recipe today and impress your family and friends with your culinary skills.