Kadai paneer is a popular North Indian dish made with paneer (Indian cottage cheese) and a spicy tomato-based sauce. It is often served with rice or roti (Indian bread). The dish is known for its flavorful and aromatic sauce made with a blend of spices, tomato, and bell peppers. In this blog, we will explore the history of kadai paneer and learn how to make a delicious and authentic version of the dish at home.
History of Kadai Paneer:
The dish is believed to have originated in the Indian subcontinent and has been a staple in North Indian cuisine for centuries. The name “kadai” refers to the type of wok-like pan traditionally used to make the dish. The dish gained popularity in India and abroad, and today it is a popular choice on the menus of Indian restaurants worldwide.
Recipe for Kadai Paneer:
Here is a step-by-step recipe for making kadai paneer at home.
- 500g paneer (Indian cottage cheese)
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes
- 1 medium-sized green bell pepper
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-inch ginger
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil (use healthy cold pressed groundnut oil)
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- Cut the paneer into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
- Cut the tomatoes, bell peppers, and onion into small pieces.
- Finely chop the ginger and garlic.
- Heat oil in a kadai or large pan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped ginger and garlic to the pan and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion to the pan and cook until it is golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, bell peppers, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, garam masala, and salt to the pan. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the tomato mixture is soft and pulpy.
- Add the cubed paneer to the pan and gently stir to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the paneer is heated through.
- Serve the kadai paneer hot, garnished with fresh coriander leaves, and accompany it with rice or roti.
Kadai paneer is a rich and hearty dish that is high in protein and flavor. One serving of kadai paneer contains approximately:
- 300 calories
- 18g of fat
- 15g of protein
- 20g of carbohydrates
- 4g of fiber
- 4g of sugar
Variations of Kadai Paneer:
While the classic recipe for kadai paneer is always a crowd-pleaser, there are many variations of the dish that can be found across India. Some popular variations include:
- Kadai Paneer Masala: A variation of the classic dish that includes more spices and a thicker sauce.
- Green Kadai Paneer: A version of the dish that uses green chilies and coriander to give it a fresh and spicy flavor.
- Palak Kadai Paneer: A variation of the dish that includes spinach to make it a healthier option.
Kadai paneer can be served with a variety of sides to create a complete meal. Some popular serving suggestions include:
- Rice: Serve the kadai paneer over a bed of fluffy basmati rice for a filling and satisfying meal.
- Roti: Serve the dish with warm roti or naan for a classic Indian meal.
- Salad: Serve the kadai paneer with a side of green salad for a healthy and light option.
- Lentils: Serve the dish with a side of dal or lentils for a complete and nutritious meal.
Kadai paneer is a classic North Indian dish that is loved by people of all ages. With its rich and flavorful sauce, soft and creamy paneer, and variety of spices, it is no wonder that this dish has become a staple in Indian cuisine. Whether you are looking for a quick and easy meal to make for your family or a delicious dish to serve on a special occasion, kadai paneer is sure to please. So, why not try making it today and discover why it has become one of the most beloved dishes in India?